Boat Harbours & Marinas
Image gallery of the boat harbours and marinas on the coast of the Algarve from Vila Real de Sto. António in the eastern Algarve to Lagos, the historical town in the western Algarve
Vila Real de Santo António: Marina on the Guadiana river
The town of Vila Real de Santo António is located on the border of the Algarve to Spain, only a few miles from the estuary mouth of the Guadiana river. This areal view depicts the geometric structure of the town, that has been completely rebuilt after the earthquake of 1755.
Vila Real de Santo Antóniol: Promenade and marina
View to the marina of Vila Real d.S.A. and the promenade "Avenida da Republica"along the shore of the Guadiana river. The marvellous fassades have been restored carefully.
Cabanas de Tavira: Water front
The popular holiday village Cabanas de Tavira is situated on the lagoon of the Ria Formosa east of Tavira.
Tavira: Quatro Aguas
The name of the site (meaning “Four Waters”) comes from confluence of the River Gilão with two lagoons and the Atlantic Ocean. In the background you can see the island Ilha de Tavira.
Tavira Quatro Aguas
The small marina of Tavira on the estuary of the Gilão river has a capacity of 70 boats.
Santa Luzia: Boat harbour
The picturesque village is famous for its octopus dishes.
Fuseta: Boat harbour
Distributary of the Ria Formosa
This is the place where the ferry boat to the Armona island with the beach Praia da Fuseta-Mar starts
This interesting boat tour starts and ends at the harbour of Olhão, hosting a booming industry of canned fish in the mid of the last Century. From more than 80 companies in 1950 only two survived until today due to the cut-throat competition of the deep-frozen fish.
Olhão: Bom Successo
Replica of a historic boat anchored in front of the promenade. In 1808 a revolt against the troops of Napoleon started in Olhao, resulting in the end of the French occupation of the entire Algarve. 17 men from Olhao embarked on the boat Bom Successo to Brazil to inform King Joao VI that the kingdom of Algarve was restored.
The marina is located on the border of the old part of Faro. The Jardim Manuel Bivar is a popular meeting point for the young as well as the older generation. Nearby the pedestrian area is an invitation to do some shopping.
View over the small marina in Faro towards the picturesque old town
The golf courses and the international marina are the economic and social centre of this resort, located in the Golden Triangle of the Algarve, next to Vale do Lobo and Quinta do Lago. At the upper right corner you can see the beach Praia de Vilamoura, stretching from the marina to the neighbouring town Quarteira.
Vilamoura’s international marina has over 1000 berths. Boat owners choose Vilamoura for its comprehensive boatyard facilities and support services, but land-lubbers enjoy it too, for its colourful, cosmopolitan atmosphere and leisure facilities.
Vilamoura: Marina Promenade
All around the marina there is a wide choice of bars and restaurants offering everything from a light snack to gourmet dining. Cuisine varies from traditional Portuguese and typically British to true Italian, Indian, Chinese, to mention but some.
Albufeira Marina: mouth
Albufeira Marina: mouth
The marina was built in the west of the city at great technical effort. To create access from the sea, one of the natural rocky barriers had to be blown up. The marina is easily reached by car via the Av. dos Descobrimentos.
Marina de Portimão
The marina of Portimão is situated on the estuary mouth ofthe river Arade.
Located on an inlet of the River Arade, the 620 moorings of Portimão Marina can accommodate vessels up to 30 m, with a maximum draught of 4 metres, providing a full range of services and facilities to assist sailors.
The new marina is situated on the estuary of the Arade river
Portimão: Estuary of the Arade river
View to the new marina of Portimão and the fortress Santa Catarina, built to protect the mouth of the Arade against pirates
Aerial view to the city of Lagos and the marina on the estuary of the Ribeira de Bensafrim, watering into the bay of Lagos
The Lagos marina maintains the town’s maritime tradition. It was opened back in 1994 and the first of its kind in the Algarve. It has been awarded the Blue Flag, the FEE’s seal of quality.
Lagos: Bridge near the marina
A bascule bridge for pedestrians connects the area around the marina with the promenade on the other side of the harbour. The bridge opens for ships with tall masts to pass through.
Lagos: Av. dos Descombrimentos
The lined with palm trees promenade of Lagos extends along the port exit from the marina on the fishing harbor to Fortress Ponta da Bandeira over several kilometers.
It was in such vessels that the bold Portuguese navigators set forth from Lagos in the 15th century to sail round the African continent and find the sea route to India.
The photo depicts the rebuilding of a caravel in Lagos’s harbour.