Algarve Chefs Week Al-Sibesh 2016
12 chiefs, 12 restaurants, 12 hotels, one price!
Date (Time): Friday, 06 May 2016 (19:00)
From May 6 to 15 twelve of the best chiefs of the Algarve – from Carvoeiro in the western to Praia Verde in the eastern Algarve – are serving a special three course menu, composed around the emblematic Ceviche, for a price of only 30 € per person (drinks not included).
The 6th edition of this already traditional gastronomic event in is dedicated to the Ceviche, a delicious dish traditionally consisting of fish and seafood, marinated in orange or lemon juice, products that are eternally linked to the Algarve, considered by many as the “best fish in the world” and their famous citrus fruits.
Although Ceviche is widely associated to Peruvian cuisine where one can find authentic “Cevicherias”, its origin dates back to over 2.000 years ago. Some historians such as Juan Jose Vega say that “seviche” actually originates from the arab word “sibech”, referring to “acid food”. Juan Jose Vega also adds how Moorish women used to marinate fresh raw fish with orange and lemon juice for the Incas, creating therefore the Ceviche. The link with Peru was brought by Moorish women from Granada, who accompanied the Spanish conquistadors and colonizers.
In a true homage to the Moorish, past occupiers of the “Al-Gharb” region we could not resist but to give you the opportunity to try for yourself our best food creation inspired in Ceviche, or as it used to be called in its early days “Al-Sibesh”.
Participating chiefs and restaurants:
- Chef Osvalde Silva – Louro Restaurant, Conrad Algarve
- Chef Bruno Viegas – EMO Restaurant, Hotel Tivoli Victoria
- Chef David Domingues – À Terra Restaurant, Praia Verde Boutique Hotel
- Chef José Leitão – Moonlight Restaurant, Nau Salgados Palace
- Chef Luis Mourão – Alquimia Restaurant, Hotel Epic Sana Algarve
- Chef André Simões – Cilantro Restaurant, Hotel Hilton Vilamoura
- Chef Miguel Lourenço – The Olive Tree Restaurant, Vale d’Oliveiras
- Chef Miguel Teixeira – Koi Restaurant, Vidamar Resort Algarve
- Chef Marco Alban – O Grill Restaurant, Pine Cliffs Residence
- Chef Ricardo Ferreira – Pepper’s Restaurant, Hotel Tivoli Marina Vilamoura
- Chef Vitor Monteiro – L14 Restaurant, Nau Salgados Dunas Suites
- Chef Luis Correia – Marenostrum Restaurant, Lake Spa Resort