Loulé: Convento de St° António
The monastery of the Capuchin Order, located at the western exit of Loulé, dates back to the XVII Century
The Convento de St° António is situated at the western exit of Loulé towards Boliqueime opposite the area of the gipsy market (Mercado mensal). The building of the XVII Century still exists in its original shape. In 1675 the Bishop of the Algarve, D. Francisco Barreto II, laid the foundation, and in 1692 the capuchins moved into the monastery. The architecture represents the “Estilo Chao”, (“plain architecture”), according to the ideals of the order. After the secularisation in 1834 the complex was used for various purposes, e.g. as habitation and as tannery. Since its renovation in the 80th of the last Century the church is utilised for various cultural applications.
Rua da Nossa Sra. da Piedade