Remnants of the castle in the historic old town of Loulé
The castle is located at a place where already the Romans built a fortification in the Second Century. Remnants dating back to the Islamic period from 715 to 1249, when the castle was finally conquered by D. Paio Peres Correia, bear witness of the importance of the Moorish Castelo. During the following centuries the walls and towers were rebuilt and expanded. Today only three Albarran towers (arab. “al-barran”) and the north-western part of the crenellation of this building are visible, that was classified as National Monument in 1924. An They were built by Muslims when they occupied Iberian Peninsula between the 8th and the 15th centuries. An Albarrana tower (from the Arabic word barrani = exterior) is a defensive tower detached from the curtain wall and usually connected to it by a bridge or an arcade. It is typical for the military architecture of the Almohad dynasty in the 12th century.
In 1992 the site was taken over by the Instituto Português do Património Arquitetónico. It hosts the municipal museum including the
- Museu de Arqueologica (archaeological museum) in the vaulted basement
- Pólo Museológico da Cozinha Tradicional (museum of traditional cooking) and Sala de Leitura (exposition of antique books and office equipment) on the second floor
The courtyard, from where the museum and the castle walls can be accessed, is used for various exhibitions and special events.
Phone: +351-289 400 600